| Incorporation of the University ||
- The Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, 1[the Pro-Vice Chancellor], the Fellows and the members of the Syndicate 2[and the Academic Council] of the University and all persons who may hereafter be appointed or elected as such officers, Fellows or members under this Act, so long as they continue to be such officers, Fellows or members, are hereby constituted and declared to be one body corporate by the name of the 3[Sardar Patel University] and such body corporate shall, by such name, have perpetual succession and a common seal and by such name shall sue and be sued.
- The University shall be competent to acquire and hold property, both movable and immovable, to lease, sell or otherwise transfer any movable or immovable property which may have become vested in, or may have been acquired by it for the purpose of the University,4[to raise loans upon the security of its assets] and to contract and do all other things necessary for the purposes of this Act.
5[provided that the power to raise loans upon the security of its assets shall be exercised after obtaining previous permission of the State Government],
|Powers of University ||
Subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by or under the provisions of this Act, the University shall have the following powers namely:-
- to provide for instruction, teaching and training in such branches of learning and courses of study as it may think fit and to make provision for research and for the advancement and disssemination of knowledge;
- to make such provision as would enable affiliated colleges and recognized institutions to undertake specialization of studies;
- to organise, control and co-ordinate the programme of teaching and research and other activities of the University, whether carried on in constituent colleges or in University Departments or in affiliated colleges or recognised institutions;
- to organize university laboratories, libraries, museums and other equipment for teaching and research;
- to establish, maintain and manage college, 6[University] departments or practicing schools and institutions attached to colleges, 7[University] departments or schools for the purpose of practical work, experiment, research or preparatory instruction and institutes of research of specialized studies;
- to institute professorships, readerships, lectureships and any other posts of teachers required by the University;
- to appoint or recognize persons as professors, readers or lecturers or otherwise as teachers of the University;
1 These word were inserted by Gujarat Act No. 10 of 1982.
2 These word were inserted by Gujarat Act No. 8 of 1966, S.4 (i).
3 These word were substituted for “Sardar Vallabhbhai Vidyapeeth”, ibid. S.4 (ii).
4 These word were inserted by Gujarat Act. XL of 1963.
5 This proviso was inserted, ibid.
6 This word was inserted by Gujarat Act No. 8 of 1966, S.5 (i).
7 This word was inserted ibid.