Powers & Duties of Academic Council
The Academic Council shall have the control and general regulation of, and be responsible for the maintenance of the standards of teaching and examinations within the University.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by or under the provisions of thisAct, the Academic Council shall exercise the following powers and perform the following duties, namely :-
- to make Regulations in consultation with the Boards of Studies concerned, laying down courses of studies;
- to make Regulations regarding the special courses of study;
- to arrange for co-ordination of studies and teaching in University and affiliated Colleges and in recognized Institutions;
- to make proposals for allocating subjects to the Faculties;
- to make proposals for the establishment of University Departments, institutes of research or specialized studies, libraries, laboratories and museums;
- to make proposals for the institution of professorships, readerships, lecturer ships and other posts of teachers required by the University and for prescribing the duties and fixing the emoluments of such posts;
- to make proposals for the institution of fellowships, travelling fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, medals and prizes and to make Regulations for their award;
- to make Regulations regarding the examinations of the University and the conditions on which students shall be admitted to such examinations;
- to make Regulations prescribing equivalence of examinations;
- to make Regulation prescribing the manner for granting exemptions from approved courses of studies in the University or in affiliated colleges or recognized institutions for qualifying for degrees, titles, diplomas and other academic distinctions;
- to exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed on it by this Act, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations; and
- generally to advise the University on all academic matters.